JOHN F. LAURO is an accomplished trial lawyer with experience in complex criminal and commercial litigation. Mr. Lauro handles cases involving accounting, securities, conspiracy, healthcare and other white collar and commercial litigation issues. Throughout his career, he has concluded several high-profile matters that have generated considerable public attention and successful results for his clients. Mr. Lauro has obtained a Rule 29 acquittal in a high profile federal criminal case on behalf of the former president of a national healthcare company, who had been accused of violating the federal securities and conspiracy laws. Mr. Lauro has successfully represented an individual charged in the first “dot-com securities fraud” case brought in federal court in Manhattan, which resulted in a jury acquittal on all counts. Additionally, he has represented a well-known sports figure, who had been charged with violating the federal wire fraud statute in connection with gambling activities. Mr. Lauro has also obtained a dismissal of all civil claims against a Middle Eastern banking institution in connection with the 9/11 litigation pending in New York. The case went to the Supreme Court, which denied review. Also, Mr. Lauro obtained a multi-million dollar judgment against a New York investment advisor for defrauding an international jewelry manufacturer in connection with an investment account.
Mr. Lauro grew up in New York and later graduated from Georgetown University magna cum laude. While a college student, Mr. Lauro was elected to a position as an Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner in the District of Columbia. As an elected official, he focused most of his attention on the development of the Georgetown waterfront and other constituent issues. He then attended Georgetown University Law Center and graduated magna cum laude. While a law student, Mr. Lauro was an editor of the Georgetown Law Journal.
Following graduation from law school, Mr. Lauro returned to New York and began practicing with the international law firm of Morgan, Lewis, and Bockius. He later joined the criminal division of the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York. After government service, Mr. Lauro established a practice in Florida, and became a partner with a national law firm. In 1994, he founded The Lauro Law Firm, (now known as Lauro & Singer) which has offices in New York and Florida with a national practice.
Mr. Lauro is an active member within the legal community. He frequently participates in various continuing education and writing and speaking engagements involving environmental compliance, healthcare enforcement, trial evidence, Sarbanes-Oxley, securities compliance, federal sentencing, and other complex criminal and civil issues. He has been selected to be a Fellow in The American College of Trial Lawyers and has been continually selected by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyers in America and Florida Super Lawyers. Mr. Lauro is a graduate of The Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College and is a legal contributor to the Fox News Network, ABC News, MSNBC, and other news media.
During his practice, Mr. Lauro has:
- Represented the CEO of an HMO who was accused of filing false statements with a state regulatory agency, which charges were dropped on the eve of trial;
- Represented a high level healthcare executive in a healthcare fraud trial lasting over three months involving complex accounting and medical economic issues;
- Represented an investment advisor in connection with felony criminal charges, which was resolved by a misdemeanor plea following a hung jury;
- Represented an international charity in a dispute involving the purchase of Degas artwork based on alleged false representations by the dealer;
- Obtained an acquittal of racketeering and conspiracy charges filed against an entertainment industry executive;
- Obtained a verdict in excess of a million dollars against an airline in connection with an injury sustained by a passenger in a forced landing;
- Resolved claims brought by the FDIC against former bank directors;
- Obtained the dismissal of all charges against a healthcare professional accused of practicing medicine without a license;
- Obtained injunctive relief in federal court on behalf of a national securities broker-dealer in connection with the hiring of a former employee;
- Represented a major healthcare provider and obtained a dismissal of the qui tam case filed by a former physician employee;
- Obtained dismissal of charges brought against an eye surgeon for alleged substandard medical practices;
- Assisted an attorney who was acquitted of federal racketeering and conspiracy charges relating to a failed insurance company;
- Obtained injunctive relief in federal court under the Lanham Act against a competitor of a national jewelry manufacturer for unfair and deceptive trade practices;
- Obtained dismissal of all civil racketeering and securities claims brought against a financial executive in connection with a class action suit; and
- Assisted in the successful defense of a defense contractor employee accused of lying to federal agents.
INVESTIGATIONS AND RESOLVED MATTERS
Mr. Lauro has represented:
- Major hospitals in connection with a resolution of a federal OIG investigation and qui tam case relating to billing and coding practices;
- A high-ranking employee of a national hospital chain with regard to an investigation concerning the filing of hospital cost reports;
- Individuals under investigation in South Korea and Singapore for purported violations of the US antitrust laws;
- A ticket reseller company in connection with an investigation by the New York Attorney General;
- A high-ranking executive at a public company in connection with potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act;
- Employees of an insurance brokerage firm in a fraud investigation conducted by the New York Attorney General;
- A university in a theft of trade secrets case involving a former student-employee;
- A hospital in connection with an alleged violation of a bio hazardous waste statute;
- The owner of psychiatric facilities in connection with a federal anti-kickback investigation;
- An executive employed by a national healthcare company under investigation for alleged kickback activities relating to physician contracts;
- A regional securities brokerage firm in class action litigation brought in federal court;
- A national engineering firm in connection with an employee kickback investigation;
- A circuit board manufacturer in connection with criminal environmental charges under the Clean Water Act brought by the Department of Justice;
- A soil remediation company with respect to alleged violations of the federal Clean Air Act;
- A key financial adviser of a publicly traded company accused of securities and fraud violations;
- A physician accused of racketeering by insurance companies as a result of the use of an innovative surgical procedure;
- The CEO of a national education company in connection with alleged securities law violations;
- A national bank in connection with a Florida Attorney General’s Office investigation of lending practices;
- A national automobile financing company in connection with a fraud investigation and subsequent litigation against an insurance carrier;
- A controller of a publicly traded company accused of securities violations by the Securities and Exchange Commission;
- A CFO of a major hospital under investigation by the Department of Justice for alleged financial irregularities;
- A telemarketing firm in connection with a fraud investigation conducted by the U.S. Postal Service;
- The owner of a marketing firm under investigation for fraud and extortion charges;
- A real estate developer in connection with fraud charges related to HUD projects;
- A securities executive in connection with an alleged “pump and dump” scheme charged by the Securities and Exchange Commission;
- A national securities firm in connection with a tax and fraud investigation;
- A high-ranking employee of a national pharmacy chain in connection with an investigation concerning corporate billing practices;
- Employees of the Church of Scientology in connection with a homicide investigation;
- A national telecommunications company in connection with a complex fraud investigation and securities fraud allegations;
- A healthcare executive in connection with fraud litigation brought by national insurance companies;
- A computer software company under investigation for alleged kickback violations;
- A national defense contractor firm in connection with qui tam litigation filed in federal court;
- The CFO of a major hospital regarding a criminal antitrust investigation conducted by the Department of Justice;
- A police department in connection with a federal investigation of alleged police misconduct;
- A high-ranking sales employee of a national healthcare provider in connection with alleged violations of the federal anti-kickback statutes;
- Employees of a healthcare practice under investigation for tax and kickback violations;
- A CEO of a public company in connection with an internal investigation conducted by the audit committee under Sarbanes-Oxley;
- A regional securities brokerage firm in connection with claims brought by customers for fraud and churning accounts;
- A national bank with respect to allegations of fraudulent mortgage practices, including an appearance before a regulatory agency;
- A high-ranking international bank executive appearing before a Senate Committee investigating international money laundering issues;
- A major defense contractor in connection with a Department of Defense fraud investigation;
- Owners of a national car rental firm accused of fraud and tax evasion; and
- A high-ranking executive of a non-profit organization in a political corruption investigation.
As a federal prosecutor in New York City, Mr. Lauro was responsible for a wide array of cases. He prosecuted numerous international drug conspiracy cases, and was a member of the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force. In addition, Mr. Lauro was the lead prosecutor responsible for the conviction of numerous individuals involved in an international car theft ring operating in New York City. He was a member of the national prosecution team that investigated Pentagon corruption and defense contractor fraud, which culminated in numerous convictions as part of the “Ill-Winds” case. While a federal prosecutor, Mr. Lauro also investigated and prosecuted bank robbery, bank fraud, tax, money laundering, racketeering, defense contractor fraud, and securities fraud matters.
Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year 2022
John Lauro recognized as Lawyer of the Year 2022, White-Collar Criminal Defense in Tampa, Florida.
Awarded to individual lawyers with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic region. Only one lawyer is recognized as the “Lawyer of the Year” for each specialty and location.
Read citation »
Chambers USA 2022 - Top Ranked
John Lauro is a highly regarded trial lawyer with vast experience representing clients facing allegations of fraud. He handles matters relating to the healthcare sector, as well as offering significant expertise in securities violations.
John Lauro is a highly regarded trial lawyer with vast experience representing clients facing allegations of fraud. He handles matters relating to the healthcare sector, as well as offering significant expertise in securities violations. “He is one of the best trial lawyers you will ever see.” “A very smart and dedicated lawyer.”
Read citation »
American College of Trial Lawyers
John F. Lauro – Fellow Of The American College Of Trial Lawyers since 2014
John F. Lauro was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers at the College’s 2014 Annual Meeting on March 8, 2014. The College is considered to be one of the most prestigious associations in the legal profession, and recognizes the very best trial attorneys practicing throughout the United States and Canada.
Read citation »
“Selected to Super Lawyers since 2008. Top Rated White Collar Crimes Attorney in Tampa, FL”
Tampa Magazine Top Lawyers, 2019, 2022
U.S. News & World Report-Best Law Firms in Florida-First Tier Firm Rankings-2015, 2016, 2020.
“Lauro Law Firm is regionally ranked, Tier 1, in 3 practice areas; Commercial Litigation; Criminal Defense: White-Collar; Litigation – Securities. The U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” rankings are based on a rigorous evaluation process.”
Lawyer of the Year – Criminal Defense: White Collar, Tampa, 2013Read citation »
Martindale-Hubble-Peer Rated For Highest Level of Professional Excellence, 2020Read citation »
James H. Kynes Memorial “In The Trenches Award” – 2011
DCA Award for Highest Score on Florida Bar Exam
Supreme Court of the United States
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
United States District Court for the District of Columbia